30 September 2009

I love paint

Whenever my kids ask to paint, I think, "Ugh. Do we have to?" It always seems like it's so messy and cleanup takes so long. But as I discovered with my 2yr old yesterday, it doesn't have to be messy and cleanup can be quick.

J, my toddler, asked to paint. I bit my lip and agreed. I got out his craft apron, one piece of construction paper, my old paint palette, a brush, and my favorite kid paints:

(Note the word "washable" clearly marked on the front of the package. This is key.)

Since J is two, I knew he wouldn't care how many colors I poured out for him, so I just gave him tiny blobs of a few colors. He painted for 10 minutes, only got one splotch on the table (which wiped right up), and gleefully proclaimed, "I'm done!" after just one painting. That was it.

I suppose I'm used to my daughter painting. She requires several sheets of paper, every color in the box, a few different sizes of paintbrushes, and a drop cloth to catch all her splatters. It's quite a production.

At any rate, this was a super fun activity for J and me. He learned to identify a new color, and even recognized the "Q" he happened to make. (That's it, in red, under the blue and purple splotches.) Fun, easy, educational. Can't get much better than that.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...