02 October 2009

Weekend Treat--Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Balls

One day last week, I was craving some kind of confection made from pretzels, peanut butter, and chocolate. I knew exactly what I wanted--those crispy chocolate covered peanut butter balls that are usually made with crisped rice cereal, but I wanted to substitute the cereal for some salty pretzels. I set out searching for a recipe, and found none. There were a few that came close, but none that were exactly what I was looking for. So I decided to make my own recipe. I am sooo glad I did, because these chocolate peanut butter pretzel balls are exactly what I imagined.

Hmm. They need a better name. "Chocolate peanut butter pretzel balls" is too long. I asked my husband if he had ideas for another name. Big mistake. He suggested I call them "Chocolate Salty Balls," and then laughed hysterically like only a 30 year old teenage boy can. If you have any other, more appropriate suggestions, please let me know. :)

Update: I've made these even easier, in bar form! Check out my Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Balls
1 1/2 C pretzels
1/2 C creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp butter, softened
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Crush pretzels into small bits. (I tried this first by bashing the pretzels in a baggie. Then I tried chopping them in a food processor. The results were mostly the same, though I felt I had more control with the baggie method.)
  • In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and salt. Stir until all ingredients are completely blended and smooth.
  • Add pretzel bits to peanut butter mixture and mix thoroughly.
  • Add powdered sugar and, again, mix thoroughly. It should look like this:
  • Prepare a chilling tray--a dinner plate covered with waxed paper works well.
  • Take about a teaspoon of the peanut butter pretzel mixture into your fingers and gently pat it into a ball with your fingertips. (The powdered sugar will make the peanut butter less sticky, but it's still too sticky to roll well, hence the patting.)
  • If the peanut butter starts sticking to your fingers, your fingers are too warm. Run your fingers under cold water for a minute to chill them, and begin rolling again.
  • Place the peanut butter balls onto the plate. When you have rolled all the balls, place the entire plate into the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
  • After the peanut butter balls have chilled, prepare your chocolate. Pour the chocolate chips into a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. If needed, microwave for another 10 seconds and stir again. Continue until the chips are completely melted, which means they stir easily into smooth, fluid chocolate with no lumps.
  • Place one peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate and gently roll it around with a fork until completely coated. Remove from the bowl with the fork and place back on the waxed paper plate. Repeat for all other balls.
  • Once all the peanut butter balls are coated in chocolate, return the plate to the refrigerator and chill another 30 minutes.
When they're done, they should look like this:
This recipe makes approximately 22 balls. It is very easy to double, triple, quadruple this recipe. But unless I can count on sharing these with several people, I stick to small batches. :)

Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. I would guess these would keep fine in the refrigerator for several days, but they never last more than two days in my house, and that's with restraint.

53 comments:

Kim Neese said...

here's what I call them...PREGNANCY ECSTACY!! : ) 17 weeks and was craving something amazing...and I found it! Thanks for the great recipe!

Marisa@make*happy said...

I'm so glad you liked them, Kim! Anything I can do to help out a pregnant woman's cravings is truly my pleasure. :)

Anonymous said...

These look amazing, a friend gave me this link! My hubby will love these!

Joel Henriques said...

Oh man, I'm totally making these tomorrow. Genius recipe! My wife said they should be called "Dream Balls" but I'm not sure that sounds any better than your husband's suggestion.

steph said...

Those look awesome! I will be making these!!

chris said...

These look great! Two of my favorite things: peanut butter and pretzels=yum. I would call them peanut butter pretzel truffles!

Marisa said...

That's the perfect name, Chris!

Judy said...

Quick question: Is the measurement of the pretzels before they are chopped or after? Thanks!

Judy said...

Just wondering if that measurement of the pretzels is before or after they're crushed.

Marisa said...

Judy, the measurement is before crushing, and it is approximate. It's hard to measure pretzels! I used the small twisted pretzels (regular pretzel shape) and measured approx. 1 1/2 cups.

April @ Sewing Novice said...

Sounds delicious! Similar to favorite ice cream....Chubby Hubby from Ben and Jerry's!

Ashlee said...

I TRIED to make these for a potluck...but somehow by the end of the day there weren't enough to take to a party with 30 people...I don't know WHAT happened to them. So I made a salad, instead. If only they all knew what they missed out on...

Marisa said...

Ha! Ashlee, your comment cracked me up! I totally understand and don't blame you one bit. :)

Vanessa said...

OMG, I'm trying these tonight. I love the combo of pretzel, peanut butter & chocolate. I may add some honey too :)

Thanks for sharing!

~Vanessa~ 5 to 9 ~ www.blog529.com

Michelle @ Loving Every Second said...

Holy Macaroni! These look SO GOOD! I think I need to go make some. Like, now.

Found the link from I Heart Naptime!

Life in the circus said...

Choconutzel Balls! Man, these sound good!

melanie said...

I should not be looking at this when I'm already hungry for lunch... and there are Take5 candy bars in the house!
I like the "choconutzel" truffle name.

emsb said...

Did you use the Skippy type peanut butter or the kind of peanut butter that is just peanuts (no other additives)?

Marisa said...

Hi emsb,
I used Jif. We like sugary, shelf-stable peanut butter in our house! :)

Hillside said...

I'm planning on making these for Christmas, but I want to get organised early - do you think you could freeze them? Probably without the chocolate coating I guess?

Marisa said...

Hillside,

I frequently store this recipe in the freezer when I make peanut butter chocolate bars—so, bar form, no pretzels. It works very well. However, I haven't tried it with the pretzels. The only possible downside I can see is that the pretzels might lose some crunch.

You could make a small test batch, freeze them for a week, and then test them. That's what I would do. Good luck, and please let me know how it turns out!

Toni said...

I pinned your recipe on Pinterest a week or so ago. Then, while looking for something to bring to my parents house for dessert on Thanksgiving, these popped in my head. I wanted something kids and adults would love. I made these last night, and after letting my husband and kids test them, I've had to guard them like a hawk to ensure there will be some left to take to my parents. My eight year old said, " Mom can you make these everyday?" Thats amazing coming from him, since he's the kid that eats cupcakes with no frosting( Is he crazy or what?????) Thanks for making this delicious recipe and sharing it for all to enjoy as well! It's perfect!

Natalie said...

Trying these right now. I used a tablespoon measuring spoon to make it easier to roll the mixture into balls! That helped a ton. Thanks so much for the recipe. I am making them for a late Thanksgiving celebration on Saturday!

Melissa P said...

I made these for Thanksgiving, but dipped in white chocolate (my niece is allergic to peanuts, so we needed to be able to tell these apart from the other truffles I made). DELICIOUS! I think next time I make them I will use Goldfish crackers in place of the pretzels. Sounds strange, but one of the yummiest snacks I ever had was when they used to make the giant, flat Goldfish- spread peanut butter between two and dip in white chocolate. so, so good!

Mel S. said...

I made these tonight after seeing it on Pinterest! Next time I make them, I'm going to refrigerate the "dough" before rolling them out because mine were really sticky and hard to handle. Also, the peanut butter kept melting when I was rolling them in the chocolate, so I ended up freezing the peanut butter balls first and then rolling them in the chocolate. Otherwise, they turned out great! They taste a lot like a Take 5 bar to me :)

Anonymous said...

I found this recipe via pinterest and am going to make them for a cookie exchange coming up. Thanks for the recipe!

April said...

Doesn't get much better than chocolate, peanut butter and pretzels! Found this link on pinterest and will be saving it!

vanillasugarblog said...

sweeeeet sarah. man oh man.

Anonymous said...

I made these today after seeing them on Pinterest--they were really quite good! Not that I expected anything different--I wanted to lick the pictures :)

Melissa @ A Dozen Years Later said...

I saw these on Pinterest and they are now chilling before I dip them :)

Allie Bunni said...

Saw this on Pinterest and they're chilling in the fridge right now =) Been reading through your blog as well and I love it!

x

Anonymous said...

These are so good, it's ridiculous!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Mabel said...

NOM NOM NOM can't wait to make these. we're suppose to have a snow storm tmr. Perfect day to try. I make mint balls, one thing you might try, after making the balls stick a toothpick in and then freeze. I use a mini crock pot to melt my chocolate, dip the balls in and spin back and forth. then pull out the toothpick. Tada, like my grandson says.. quick and easy

Davide said...

I think "Amazeballs" sums it up! Hope to make a batch of these myself soon. Thanks for doing the legwork!

Anonymous said...

Making them right now.....can't wait to try them! I decided to MAKE candy for my boyfriend rather then BUY him Valentines candy........ :)

Anonymous said...

How about PB twisted balls.

Anonymous said...

What about Sweet & Salty Peanut Balls ..???? Very appropriate..

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO YUMMY!!! Very easy to make as well. The cold water trick works WONDERS. This is going to be a hit. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

How about calling these Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Balls: Chocolate PB PB's? That's what I'm calling them!

Sharra said...

Pretzel dumplings/choc dumplings? (etc etc) looks scrumptious!

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes said...

Those peanut butter balls look goooood...and I don't think there's a good name for them. Anything with the word ball in them makes boys giggle.

julie said...

These were delicious, whatever their name :)

Mrs. Letcher's Blog said...

I didn't have any creamy peanut butter so I decided to try nutella. Afraid coating them in chocolate would be too much (is there such a thing as too much chocolate??!!) I coated them in Reese's peanut butter chips. Still great chocolate/peanut butter combination, just from the outside in!

Anonymous said...

Made these for a 4th of July party today, absolutely amazing!! Thank you for sharing!!

julie said...

Having a nut allergy, this recipe really excited me. The crunchiness and saltiness of the pretzels helps satisfy my longing for pecans! LOL (Sorry if I sound giddy.....I sure miss my nuts ;) I'm so happy to find you through Pinterest! Thanks for sharing this chocolatey, yummy goodness!

Tessa said...

I make peanut butter balls too but they have all kinds of other stuff in them like oat bran, cocoa powder and crushed oatmeal square cereal. I came up with mine the same way you did, on a craving. And I call them chocolate salty balls!!! Hehe. These sound awesome, I'm always thinking I want something with peanut butter, chocolate and pretzels!!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to make these! Gunna add them to my plates of Christmas cookies to give away! If you sub the name bon bon for "balls" you may get fewer snickers from the men folk! Crunchy Peanut butter Bon bons:) Thanks for sharing!

Lauren Carey said...

This is a great recipe! I made it for some dessert baskets I made for Christmas, I have you and this recipe featured on my blog if you'd like to check it out! http://cestmoilo.blogspot.ca/2013/01/christmas-dessert-baskets-mmmm.html

Jen K. said...

Your balls are amazing!!! I cannot stop making them, lol :) Thank you so much for sharing this and keep up the good work in the kitchen!
- Jen

Trisha said...

This looks EXACTLY like what Miracle Max makes for Westley in The Princess Bride :) I am super stoked to try them, especially considering I've been mostly dead all day.

Shannon W said...

I just made these for a potluck at my church and people were RAVING about them. Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely be using it again and again :)

Jane Ellen Smith said...

My mother and I have made a chocolate covered graham cracker candy for years which we shape into rectangular pieces. You might try that. Maybe you wouldn't have to call them balls at all!

john jay said...


oh I like that chocolate candies
i love eating that's why im too fat now :)
but most of the time what i eat are chocolates
in fact i buy macaroons online
because that's my favorite which is chocolate macaroons.
well anyway that chocolate candies above are interesting i wanna try that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...