12 November 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Apples, apples, apples...how about some chocolate already? OK. Here ya go.
I found this recipe on Bakerella.com, when her photo of this gooey, chocolatey, slice of wonderful pulled me in like a magnet. (Doesn't she take the most amazing food photos?) I knew I had to make it, but forced myself to wait for a gathering of more than six people so I wouldn't be tempted to eat all the leftovers.

Let me tell you about this pie. It's a Nestlé recipe that has been around for years. Not sure why I hadn't heard about it before. For my first attempt to make this pie, I read the recipe incorrectly and used 1 1/2 cups of butter instead of 1 1/2 sticks. Big mistake. That means I used double the amount of butter the recipe called for. I tried it after it cooled, but all I could taste was just chocolate and butter, and that's just not what I was going for with this pie. So I tried it again, confirming the amounts of all my ingredients with Hubs before adding them.

I got it right the second time, but it still seemed too buttery. Honestly, I didn't really like this pie. It was too buttery, too nutty, and too crumbly for me...at least on tasting day. (I have food moods...it's hard to explain unless you have them, too.) But my rule with everything is that I make it as written the first time, and then adjust the ingredients as needed. So next time, I plan to use half the butter called for in the recipe, and half the pecans. And there will be a next time...I'm not ready to give up on Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie just yet. I'll let you know how it turns out. For now, here's the recipe so you can try it yourself. If you do, or if you've made this before, please let me know what you think.
Chocolate Chip Pie
Recipe courtesy of VeryBestBaking.com

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell (if frozen, thaw first)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 325° F.
  • Beat eggs in large mixer bowl on high speed until foamy.
  • Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
  • Beat in butter.
  • Stir in morsels and nuts.
  • Spoon into pie shell.
  • Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean.
  • Cool on wire rack.
  • Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.