24 November 2009

Tofu Parmigiana

I'm always looking for new ways to get my kids to eat tofu. So far they like it in soups (because they don't notice it) and they'll tolerate it in stir fries and curries. So when I came across this recipe, I had to try it. My kids love spaghetti, so this had a real shot.

Well, this time, it wasn't the tofu texture that bothered them, but the crunch of the bread crumbs. Kids are fickle.

I, on the other hand, loved this. The crunch of the bread crumbs was excellent and the sauce brightened that bland tofu right up. I liked this so much, I might even prefer it without the mozzarella cheese on top. And I don't usually say no to cheese.

Give it a shot. It would be a nice, healthy dinner for Thanksgiving Eve, so you won't feel so guilty having that extra slice of pumpkin pie on Turkey Day. :)

Tofu Parmigiana
(based on this recipe from delish)

1/4 cup(s) plain dry breadcrumbs*
1 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
1 package(s) (14-ounce) firm or extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup(s) prepared marinara sauce
1/2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella
*I made my breadcrumbs by toasting one slice of bread, letting it cool, and pulsing it in the food processor until crumbs were fine.
  • Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish.
  • Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 steaks and pat dry.
  • Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and salt and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
  • Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
  • Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes.
  • Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan.
  • Pour marinara over the tofu and scatter mozzarella on top.
  • Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
  • Serve with pasta and additional marinara sauce, if desired.