11 March 2010

mom's cafe

I love leftovers. So does Hubs. I almost always make enough dinner for the four of us to eat at dinner time, and Hubs and I to have leftovers for lunch the next day. Occasionally, we have days when the leftovers pile up, and fridge is full of a little bit of several different things.

I used to say, "Looks like leftovers for dinner tonight." But that was never met with much enthusiasm. So I came across this idea (somewhere...I can't remember), and it has been much more successful.

Mom's Cafe--where the menu has a variety of options to suit the pickiest of eaters, but everything is available only until the kitchen runs out. I'll prompt the kids with, "We've just got one burrito left today! Hurry up and get your order in!" And I often include a safe item, like PB&J, if I know the kids won't like the other options.

I think the kids like the control of choosing their main course, vegetable, and drink separately. And H will often pose as a waitress, collecting orders and delivering them to me. It's fun for her, plus she works on short term memory and writing skills.

So, next time you're faced with a leftover situation, give Mom's Cafe a try. (Or Mom's Diner or Bistro Ma Mère.) Let me know how it works out.