24 March 2010

recycled woven placemats

Here's another placemat idea. My sister made this mat for me, woven from strips of magazine pages. That means you can pick the colors, text, photos you like, and blend them all together to make custom placemats for your table. How about one with spring flowers? Or cupcakes? Or bacon? Let the kids help and they can design their own!
Brittney, my sis, told me how she made it so I could pass it on to you:
  • Cut 1.5" strips, lengthwise, from magazine pages.
  • Fold the strips in half, again lengthwise, and secure with double sided tape (a tape runner works really well for this).
  • Weave strips together until you reach your desired size. Secure strips at edges with more double sided tape, if necessary.
  • Fold some lovely tape (Brittney used this tape, a gift from me!) over the edges, to finish them and keep everything neat.
  • Brush two coats of Mod Podge over the whole thing. (Let it dry between coats and before you flip to the other side.)

That's it! At least, I'm pretty sure. I trust that Brittney will let me know if I missed anything. :)

I currently have my mat sitting under my cutting mat on my desk. It's the perfect size, it provides a little more slip resistance, and it looks pretty.

7 comments:

Bcieloha said...

You didn't miss a step. I'm honored you put this on your blog!! :)

abby @ tales and trials said...

So apparently craftiness runs in the family? What a cool idea!! I think this would be fun to do with the kids so the could make their own customized placemats

Marisa@make*happy said...

Britt--I'm happy to do it! It's a great idea.

Abby--I think so, too! Ooh, maybe with wrapping paper of their favorite characters? Or pages from a toy catalog?

Kristen said...

I don't have an ounce of creativity in my body, but I'm thinking this looks like such a cool project! Maybe, just maybe, I could attempt this one!

Marisa@make*happy said...

You definitely should try it, Kristen! Let us know how it goes. :)

handbags*n*pigtails said...

My sister in law has made these but in the form of coasters and more recently...gift wrapping bows. Theyre awesome and we'll never have to buy them again!
Sarah
handbagsnpigtails.blogspot.com

Marisa@make*happy said...

I've seen the gift bows on How About Orange...LOVE those!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...