06 May 2010

rainbow garden party

Yesterday was H's rainbow garden birthday party. 
Everything was so bright and colorful! I am extremely happy with the way it all turned out.
Lilacs, my favorite, and at the peak of their blink-and-you'll-miss-it blooming stage.
Also California poppies, H's favorite. We have them in all colors, but the orange are first to bloom. You'll see more of these here throughout the summer, I'm sure.

H came home from school to find this:
Her jaw dropped. She said, "Woah."
That was the exact reaction I was going for!
Aren't these paper mobiles amazing? More about those soon.

H and her twin besties took a few minutes to explore the room before the rest of the guests arrived.

When the guests arrived, we got right to work. 
First on the agenda: decorating pots with rainbow-colored permanent markers.
After the pots were decorated, we headed outside to plant some nasturtium seeds in each pot. Kids love nasturtium because they're bright, colorful, easy to grow, and edible. One of H's faves, for sure.

Then we all had turns whacking the pinata. It was a tough one!
Even J got a turn.
After two rounds of kid turns, I finally had to bust it open. 
No one got injured in the mad dash for tiny toys. 
Well, maybe the pinata.
 Finally, it was cake time.
(Drum roll, please.)

There were lots of oohs and aahs when I cut into this cake.

Bonus: Everyone said it was delicious! 
Yes, with pretty colors, marshmallow fondant, and three (yes, three) batches of buttercream frosting, even dirt would probably taste delicious.

(More on the cake and decorations in the next few days. Any questions? Leave me a comment and I'll address them in my posts tomorrow and Monday.)