01 July 2010

banana pecan breakfast bread

I was browsing Summer Harms' blog last week, and came across her recipe for banana bread made with sour cream. It sounded really good, but I wanted something healthier. I wanted a banana bread that I could eat for breakfast without feeling guilty. I did some ingredient switching--replaced the butter with applesauce, the sour cream with plain yogurt, reversed the whole wheat/all-purpose flour ratio, and crammed in as many bananas and pecans as I could. It turned out. so. good.
It's full of fruit, whole wheat, and heart-healthy nuts. It does have a little sugar, but even that you could replace with honey, agave, apple juice concentrate. But really, since the rest of the ingredients are so good, I'm OK with a little sugar. I'm so OK with it that I went ahead and slathered a slice with butter. Mmmm.
{In all honesty, the bread was better without the butter.}

Here is my adapted, healthified recipe.

Banana Pecan Breakfast Bread
(adapted from Summer Harm's recipe)

1 1/2 cups ripe, mashed bananas (about 3)
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons milled flax
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or your favorite combination)
  • In a medium bowl, mash the bananas.
  • Add applesauce, sugar, eggs and yogurt; combine thoroughly.
  • In a small bowl, combine flours, flax, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  • Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; stir until just combined.
  • Gently stir in vanilla and pecans.
  • Pour batter into a greased 8x8 pan.
  • Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Bread is done when the top springs back when lightly pressed.
  • (You may wish to cover with foil for the last several minutes so the bread doesn't get too dark.)