09 August 2010

summer squash salad

Are you getting tired of zucchini yet? Or is the zucchini fun just starting? I wouldn't know, because I don't plant zucchini. If I did, I would use it for nothing but zucchini bread, and I don't think my hips would appreciate that.

I'm really not a fan of zucchini and the other summer squashes. Eaten raw, they're bland in taste and texture. When cooked, they're too mushy. I'm very sensitive to food textures. But I know they're good for us, so I keep trying different recipes in the hopes that 1) I'll learn to like them and 2) my kids will like them despite my feelings.
(I added a few tomatoes fresh from our garden. It was a wonderful addition to the salad.)

This salad I actually liked. I think it was because the raw squash was cut into tiny pieces. Of course the lemon and olive oil dressing didn't hurt, either.

(My sincerest apologies that I can't find the original source for this recipe. I've searched all my usual places. If it looks familiar to you, and you can tell me where it came from, I would be happy to give credit where credit is due. And I'll probably need to adjust the recipe, as I'm writing it here from memory.)

Summer Squash Salad

A few zucchini and yellow squash, cut into bite-sized chunks
(this should give you several cups of chunks)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped or sliced almonds
1/4 cup basil leaves (chopped, if large)
salt and pepper to taste
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl or storage container.
  • Refrigerate and allow to marinate for an hour or more.
  • Serve and enjoy!
Printable Summer Squash Salad recipe