20 September 2010

beginner bento

bento1
Bento-style lunches are pretty popular these days. I have yet to find a bento-style box that both my kids will be able to operate, and I'll be able to reasonably clean daily. My search continues. (If you have a favorite, please share in the comments!)

But on one of our last trips to Portland, I really wanted the convenience of a whole lunch in one container. I may be adept at eating in the car, but the kids are still learning and haven't quite mastered eating from multiple containers without making a mess. So I decided to make my own "bento."
bento2
Half a bagel sandwich (cream cheese and turkey, yum!), cucumbers and cherry/pear tomatoes from the garden, and a surprise little brownie. (My poor kids rarely get "treats" in their lunches.)

It all fit in one little container (love my glass Pyrex!). I was happy with less mess, my girl was happy because it was cute, and Little Mister was happy because he got to eat his dessert first.
bento3
Do you bento?

6 comments:

Cathy said...

My kids are 3 and 2 so there's no packing lunches around here yet. I don't know if this lunchbox is bento or not but I came across it a while ago and I think it's dang cute. Looks kid friendly enough.

http://goodbyn.com/goodbyn/features.aspx

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I do Bento. I'm actually just starting to show some of my lunches on my website! I LOVE it, and it is getting my kids to eat more, which is why I do it...that and the bonus that they know I care and was thinking of them! I use the Laptop Lunch Box system and LOVE it. I've had it 2 years now. My sister has had hers 3 years now and they are all holding up strong!
Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

The Mother Lode said...

I want to feature this on my blog - such a great way to give Bento a go!

Mrs. Potts said...

I don't have to pack lunches for anybody yet, but I've been admiring these for a while:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversPlastic?productId=10025083#cap

annekata said...

I'm a bit late to comment, but I just found your lovely blog...The planet box seems a great option: http://www.planetbox.com/
My friend Maya from mayamade wrote a great review here:
http://mayamade.blogspot.com/2010/08/eco-lunch-boxes-steel-wool.html
I use the Laptop Lunch Box, and it has been working fine, but a steel version would make me feel more comfortable.
Have a great weekend,
Kathrin

Marisa said...

Kathrin,

Thank you for your comment. (Never too late!) I follow Maya's blog, so I saw her review. I think I focused more on the super cool tiffin holder, though! I do think that the Planet Box is what I'm looking for. I love the stainless steel. It may still have the falling crumb issues though, if my daughter can't get it closed properly. Maybe I should ask Planet Box to send me one to try. :) Or I suppose I could just ask Maya for a more in-depth review...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...