04 October 2010

recycled: cereal box to project holder

With my Little Mister in preschool just two days a week, it leaves us three days with Big Sister at school, Daddy at work, and the house to ourselves. Storytime at our local library (the best one in the world) is our regular Wednesday activity, so that leaves us Monday and Friday to do "projects." 

A "project" for 3yr old Little Mister can be any kind of simple craft activity. The "sticker story" I posted two weeks ago is a perfect example. Coloring sheets, free stickers from junk mail, junk mail itself (for scissor practice)–all go in the project box. Often I'll find a gem (read: a really fabulous printable) from One Pretty Thing's "Kid's Printable Roundup." Fabulous resource. 

Other great printables:

Right, right, back to my point. I collect these things throughout the week, and needed a place to store them. So I grabbed a cereal box from the recycling bin (my go-to for emergency crafts) and got crafting. 

I think it's pretty self-explanatory. I labeled the process, step by step on the photos. Let me know if you have any questions.










14 comments:

Tracey @ bitsandpiecesofthebetterlife said...

I am your newest follower! I found you from The Inspired Room. I love your fall touches. Your entry way and decor is beautiful then I went looking to follow here and on facebook and found this post. So much greatness that I am hooked. Thanks for the inspiration. You are doing great and have 65 more followers than I do. :(

Tracey
bitsandpiecesofthebetterlife.blogspot.com

Marisa said...

Thanks for visiting, Tracey! Hope to "see" you more again soon.

Beckie said...

I just think this idea is fabulous! Will definitely be making these! Thanks so much for stopping by my lil ole blog and for the comment love :) The color of spray paint I used for my Styrofoam pumpkins is the Design Master Bronze Premium 233...I'm pretty sure I got it at Michaels...have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I have never been to your blog before and already something useful! I have been looking for something I can have my three daughters put important papers in when they are cleaning out their backpacks. This is perfect! Thank you!

Cathy said...

I love it! Too bad I just smooshed 5 cereal boxes this morning and tossed them into the recycling. I'll have to wait a few weeks to try this!

Marisa said...

Beckie--thanks for the spray paint info! I'll have to pick some up. It's such a great color.

Anon--glad to help!

Cathy--if they're not too smooshed, you can fold them back up and tape them. Good luck!

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! My little girl will for sure love it too!! Im your new follower. Visiting from HoH!

Marisa said...

Thanks, Thrifty lady! Hope you and your little one enjoy it. :)

Modern Country Style said...

I really like this idea. And so versatile. We get through what seems like a million boxes of cereal each week so I could line every wall of my house if necessary.

Autumn said...

I've been on the hunt for something to store papers in the kitchen--genius! And oh so cheap. THANK YOU!!

Jimmy Colleen said...

A project holder is a great way to recycle a cereal box. I eat cereals every day and hence throw out empty boxes week after week. Do you have any other suggestions for cereal boxes?

Marisa said...

Jimmy Colleen: I don't have anything posted, but I used recycled cereal boxes for all sorts of things. Usually for small photo mailing envelopes. I did a quick Google search for "cereal box crafts" and found lots of ideas. Try that!

Jimmy Colleen said...

Hey Marisa,

That's a great idea. I did that search. Cereal box handbags and cereal box clock caught my eye. I'm off to try those out.

Thanks again,

Jimmy

Your Therapy Source Inc said...

I LOVE this idea for letters home from school as well. Mine just pile up on the fridge. Plan on making two tomorrow. One for letters and one for project ideas. Thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...