09 November 2010

autumn baby shower: paper wreath

I love this wreath. I love the look. From the first time I saw it on MaryJanes and Galoshes, I fell in love and I knew it would be perfect for the green and brown baby shower. Doesn't it look like dried hydrangeas?

I also love it because
  • it was easy
  • it was super cheap
  • it gives big impact
  • it's frilly and fluffy and textural
  • it gave me an excuse to buy a 2.5-inch scallop punch
I'll skip the whole tutorial, since you can follow it easily on MJ&G. But basically, you buy a bag of brown paper lunch sacks (I found my bag of 50 for $0.79), buy a wreath form (mine was from the dollar store, so it was $1), punch a gazillion little scalloped circles and glue them onto the wreath form. I used about 20 bags per wreath, punching six scalloped circles from each bag.

To get the frilly, flowery shape, you place an unsharpened pencil in the center of a scalloped circle, fold the paper around the pencil like a flower, place a dab of hot glue on the paper covering the end of the pencil, and stick it on the wreath. Repeat, repeat, repeat, and repeat.

I estimate it took me 2-3 hours to punch the circles, and 3-4 hours to glue them to the wreath. Super simple to do while watching TV.

And the result is so lovely:


After the baby shower, I was taking down decorations and setting some aside for the new mommy. She happened to bring some dip in a white bowl (Martha Stewart from Macy's, if you're curious), so I set the bowl inside the wreath to remind me that I needed to take both to her. Then I looked at it, and looked again, and was blown away to find a whole new use for my new favorite wreath:


Go! Make one. 

Do it. 
It's multi-functional. :)

7 comments:

abby @ tales and trials said...

I'm still loving this wreath! When I clicked on the link you sent me I realized I already had that tute bookmarked from last spring. I guess I never really read through the tutorial because I didn't realize it was made with brown lunch sacks.

Thanks for reminding about this great wreath. I borrowed a scalloped punch from a friend and am almost done punching my flowers out. When we move I'll have a craft ready to go when I need a break from un-packing. :)

Marisa said...

That's a great idea, Abby! I love that you've prepared a craft for yourself in your new home. :)

yellowmum said...

oh I'm ion love. This is perfect excuse to buy a 2.5 inch hole punch! And I've been looking for a wreath that was beautiful, cheap, but simple! thanks for sharing.

J I L L A I R E said...

Is it a styrofoam wreath form?

Marisa said...

Lauralee--gotta love an excuse to go craft-tool shopping!

Jillaire--Yes, it is. But I think any kind of wreath form would work, except wire, because you can't hot glue to that easily.

MaryJanes and Galoshes said...

You did awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with me, your wreath turned out great and I love the ribbon you used to hang it.

Taylor

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! I'm so doing it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...