16 November 2011

first snow

 WARNING:
Lots of pictures ahead!
We had our first snow this morning,
and I got a wee bit excited.

I love snow!

This little hummingbird hung out in our maple, flitting over to the feeder for the occasional sip of sugar water. He stuck around while I changed lenses, thank goodness. Then I stood, poised, focused on the feeder, waiting for him to come back. I took a few photos of the more plentiful juncos while I waited.


Finally the hummingbird was ready for his close up. I struggle with exposure on hummingbird photos. I need a high shutter speed to catch the wings, and I can't open my aperture too much or he'll never be in focus. I think I need to move our feeder further out from the shade.


After chilling my fingers taking photos, I came inside to warm up with a latte. Ashleigh's 1Word photography assignment this week was “coffee.” It's a treat to take photos of one of my favorite things. :) You can see the other lovely coffee images here, and check back soon for a giveaway provided by Ashleigh!