12 September 2012

256/366 banana vs apple oatmeal squares


Last week on the MakeHappy Facebook page, I shared a recipe my sister-in-law found on Gingerbread Bagels for Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares.* There was some discussion on whether the recipe could be made with applesauce instead of mashed banana, and I said I'd try both and report back.

I did, and yes, both fruits work equally. 

Both batches of oatmeal squares baked up exactly the same, except one has a sweet banana flavor and one has a tart apple flavor.  (I used unsweetened applesauce.)

I wasn't sure how much applesauce would equal the one ripe mashed banana called for in the recipe. I guessed 1/2 cup, and since that happened to be the measuring cup I had out already, I crammed the banana in it to double check. Perfect fit!


So if you're in the mood for peanut butter apple oatmeal squares, head to Gingerbread Bagels* for the recipe, and substitute 1/2 cup applesauce for the mashed banana. 

And after you pull them out of the oven, if you want nice, neat squares, wait until they're actually cool before you cut them. Impatient baked good fiends like myself tend to cut too early and get crumbly edges. (And lazy food stylists like myself end up with poor photos of said crumbly edges—see above.)

Oh, and hey! They're tasty! You should definitely try them. No flour, no oil or butter. (If you want to make them gluten free, be sure to use oats that are gluten free.) They mix and bake so fast, you can satisfy your craving for something warm and soft before it goes away. Not really a good thing, but these are relatively healthy so you don't have to feel too guilty. 



*Edited 13 November 2012: I went back to make these again today (with chocolate chips!), and the Gingerbread Bagels site was down. I found a copy of the recipe here.