03 December 2009

I could go crazy posting gift suggestions this holiday season, because there are so many fun products out there. But I'm trying to simplify our gift giving, and I know many of you are, too. So I'm sticking to just a few useful products that make me happy, and the Earth happy, too. You just can't go wrong with these gifts.

  • Preserve toothbrushes. Made with recycled yogurt containers. The angle of the brush takes some adjustment, but I love these toothbrushes. Bonus--you can send them back to Preserve when you're finished and they'll re-recycle them. New bonus--Preserve is now offering Toothbrush Subscriptions, with which they'll send you a new toothbrush every three months, so you don't have to remember to replace it yourself.
  • Pyrex glass storage with silicone lids. I've replaced all my reusable/disposable/poisonous plastic containers with these containers from Pyrex. I adore them. I don't feel nervous putting these in the microwave or dishwasher. I've dropped several, and none have broken yet. Love, love, love them.
  • Rechargeable batteries (like these). My kids have so many toys that require batteries, we invested in rechargeable batteries and a "Family Charger" (that fits all common battery sizes). It not only saves us from repeatedly buying disposable batteries, but it helps keep those disposable batteries out of our landfills. (Though there shouldn't be any there, with handy programs like this that will recycle your batteries for you.) We've seen some power decrease in our GeoTrax train, but everything else works very well.
  • Reusable grocery bags. Is everyone doing this now? I keep mine in the car, and 99% of the time I don't forget them. I also keep one that folds into a pouch in my purse for the times I do forget. We currently have a stock of bags like in the picture, but as those tear, I plan to replace them with washable, virtually indestructible canvas bags. Reader tip: Use them as gift bags!
Happy giving!