06 January 2010

fun kid lunch: tower sandwiches

We had this box of "fancy" crackers leftover from one of our holiday celebrations. The kids didn't particularly like the crackers on their own, so I decided to have some fun with them.

I bought some sliced turkey, sliced up some Tillamook cheddar*, and found something round (H's water bottle) the same size as the crackers to use as a meat- and cheese-cutter. Both kids helped me cut rounds from the turkey and cheese.
 
We started stacking--cracker, meat, cracker, cheese--with a little ranch dressing every now and then to hold everything together and give some kid-friendly flavor. The kids got to help spread the ranch with their IKEA knives. I'm finding that spreading does not come naturally with my kids, and they need practice whenever it's feasible.
This turned out to be a big hit with the kids. They had so much fun making really tall towers and then trying to eat them. If you don't want to make yours so tall, make them short and call them Cracker Stacks. It was quick and easy, too. We'll definitely be doing this again.
*By the way, here is something very similar to my cheese knife. I love this knife so much, and it was maybe $10-15 at a nearby kitchen store. I honestly don't know how I ever sliced cheese without it.