01 March 2010

mango chicken salad

My trip last week to Trader Joe's brought not only fruitghetti, but 99¢ organic mangoes as well. We love mangoes in our house. I looked in the fridge and found some spinach that was about to turn, so I threw together a mango chicken salad for dinner.

I cooked and chopped some chicken breast. I cut up the mango (here's a great photo tutorial, if you need one), and rinsed the spinach. I mixed together some lime juice, honey, and rice vinegar to make a dressing. No, I didn't measure. No, I don't have a lime dressing recipe for you. Sorry. Just do it to taste. Approximately equal parts lime and honey, with a splash or two of rice vinegar. Blend it, don't stir it. I tossed the spinach with the dressing, put it on plates, and topped with chicken, mango, and chow mein noodles for crunch.

The kids didn't like the dressing, but they're weird. It was delicious.
Edited to add: If it's your first time choosing a mango, look for one that is slightly softened, with a little bit of give when you gently press it. Not too soft, or it will be mushy. Not too hard, or it will taste piney. As far as I know, the color of the skin doesn't make a difference. (Someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong!)