09 April 2010

tabouli (tabbouleh?)

My friend Jillaire gave me a big bunch of parsley last week, as she and her family were headed for a little vacation and had no desire to bring the parsley along, nor to return and find it molding in the fridge. That's the kind of friend I am. You can dump your leftovers on me when you're leaving town and I'll usually find something to do with them.

My favorite recipe that uses a significant amount of fresh parsley is Ina Garten's Chicken Stew with Biscuits. But I had already done some calorie-overloading in the days before, so I wanted to find something healthier. I took a chance and Googled "parsley recipes." This recipe for tabouli/tabbouleh/however you want to spell it popped up. I had all the ingredients on hand (well, I had bulgur, not wheat berries) and it looked really yummy, so I whipped it up right away.

It was delish. I made a batch of my faux hummus to go with it, and stuck both in the fridge for the following day. That day, we headed out to Portland (big city + lots of shopping + one hour away = all day trip) and brought the hummus and tabouli in a cooler to munch on for lunch. It was yummy and healthy and made me feel better about my prior indulgences. :)

What's your favorite healthy food to pack along on a day trip?

Don't forget to enter the owl giveaway! Deadline is tomorrow (Saturday) at 11:59pm Pacific time. The winner will be chosen Sunday and announced here Monday.

4 comments:

abby @ tales and trials said...

I make a faux hummus too! Chickpeas and peanuts are in the same family and I have to avoid them because of Noah's food allergy. I use great northern beans for my hummus and it's pretty tasty. I want to try out your recipe though.

And I pack twizzlers for my road trips!! I blame my F-I-L for that healthy habit. Ha!!!!

Marisa@make*happy said...

Oh, I didn't realize that chickpeas and peanuts were in the same family. Good to know!

I have a list of unhealthy road trip foods a mile long (ha). Funyuns and a giant bag of mixed black and red licorice pieces are at the top of that list! :)

J I L L A I R E said...

Had you had tabouli before, or was this a first? Did the kids like it?

Marisa@make*happy said...

I'd had it once before, but remembered liking it. I didn't even have the kids try it, because I figured they wouldn't like it. They might without the green onions. If we do parsley in the garden this year, I'll make it again and have them try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...