20 May 2010

bbq chicken pizza

Barbecue chicken pizza is one of my favorite kinds of pizza. It is absolutely my favorite thing to do with leftover barbecued chicken. The tangy barbecue sauce, the sweet crunch of the caramelized onions...yum.

Wait. Barbecue? Or bbq? Or something else? 
I use barbecue mostly, but bbq when I'm trying to be quick. 
What do you use?

Right, the pizza. (I'm easily distracted, if you hadn't noticed.) You might scoff, saying it's not real pizza if it doesn't have tomato sauce, or pepperoni, or whatever you think defines pizza. If that's the case, then I think you are the perfect person to try this--just try it--and get back to me. I'd love to know what you think.

So use whatever crust you like, and spread on a thin layer of your favorite barbecue sauce.

Then top with whatever cheese you think is appropriate. I used a combination of jack and cheddar, and it was super yummy.

Then slice up that leftover barbecued chicken. You might have to trim off the carbonized (blackened) edges, because they're not very pizza-friendly. 

It's up to you to decide what to do with those pieces.

What do I do?

Well, let's just say that I was full before the pizza was ready.

So, add those bite-sized slices of chicken to the pizza. You know, the ones you didn't snitch.

Slice an onion into wedges and caramelize them a bit. You don't want raw onions here...you need the sweetness. It's worth the extra work.

Now bake it. If your chosen crust came with directions, use 'em. I make my own crust, and I bake mine at 450° for 10 minutes.

Yum.