17 May 2010

thrift store finds

I finally made it to the thrift store (and Home Goods) over the weekend. I left the kids with Hubs and had a ball searching for treasures. It is now apparent to me that I am a container freak. I love containers of all kinds, and I feel like I can never have enough. It is approaching obsession-level. Hubs is concerned.

Want to hear about what I found? I'll go from tallest to smallest.
I have been looking for something to go in this spot outside my front door for ages. I wanted something tall, fairly narrow (because there's not a lot of space there) and bronze. My ideal item would be a tall, slender antique milk can. But the only ones I've found so far have been too short and fat. That search will continue, but in the meantime, this will do.

I found the green vase-type-thing at Home Goods for $19.99. No, it's not bronze, but I picked up my spray paint today and will show you how that goes in a future post. It's not quite as tall as I'd hoped, and it's a little too narrow for the spot, but the shape and texture are exactly what I was looking for. I think $19.99 is a steal for something so close to my mental picture.

Oh, the milk bottle. I've wanted one of these to use as a flower vase for a few years now. You see, H picks lots of flowers, so we need a variety of vases. (Yes, dear Hubby, we really really do!) We used to get milk in glass bottles (bigger than this) when I was a kid, and this shape has always appealed to me. $1.50. Can't beat it.

Ditto for this little pitcher. I've been wanting to add one to my vase collection for a while. It's perfectly shaped, perfectly white, perfectly smooth. I love it. $2, thank you.

But this. Oh, my goodness, I am in love with this.
When I picked it up at the thrift store, I thought it was a cute little bowl with an interesting green design. Even more interesting was that the design was repeated on the inside of the bowl. At $2, I grabbed it, thinking it could hold rings or something.

But when I got it home, I got an amazing surprise.
 The "green" design is actually translucent! The light shines through those shapes with the most serene glow. It makes me intensely happy whenever I see it. I really lucked out with this one.

I imagine this style of ceramic work has a name. Does anyone know? I would love to find out more about it, and have a name so I can look for more pieces.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Nice job! Did you get Senn's milk, too? I get a little sentimental about milk bottles, and have attributed it to Senn's. :)

Marisa@make*happy said...

Yes! It was Senn's. It's hard for me to imagine making a separate stop for milk these days, but I sure loved it. If we were lucky, we'd get ice cream, too. They had a lemon flavor that I loved...lemon custard maybe?

If we were really lucky, Mom would time it so she'd get a green light (on Division at Burnside) and go fast over that bump at the intersection. I sometimes do that now, just for fun. :)

Bcieloha said...

I was just telling Andrew about Senn's the other day!! I was telling him how us kids would fight over who got to sit in the front seat so that we could get the change. They had one of those cool belts that dispensed the money. :)

abby @ tales and trials said...

Great finds! I like the classic looking white pitcher. And the bowl you found is really pretty and unique. Was this your first time thrifting or your first time in a while?

Marisa@make*happy said...

Brittney--those belts are so cool. I wanted to get one when we had a garage sale last year. :)

Abby--it wasn't my first time, but it was the first time in a LONG time. Hubs isn't too keen on thrifted treasures.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just found your blog today and enjoy all that you share. I think the beautiful bowl is called a rice bowl, maybe because the shapes are the size of rice. Or maybe rice could be served in it. Anyway - keep bloggin:) Christy

Marisa said...

Oh, Christy, thank you! I did some more research and found that the style is called "rice grain porcelain." Here's some more info if anyone is interested: http://www.radio86.co.uk/explore-learn/culture/1361/rice-grain-porcelain-creating-translucence

I couldn't have found it without your help, Christy. I'm very grateful! Thanks for stopping by!

Tracey @ bitsandpiecesofthebetterlife said...

Cruising your older posts again :). I covet your white pitcher! Beautiful and just what I hope to find one day. I also am happy to now know about rice grain porcelain and will have my eyes peeled for it. Your picture captured the translucence so well.

Beck said...

I love your white pitcher as well! Love the luminosity of the white/green one, and I too wonder what that style is called. Can't wait to see what you do with it. As for me, I'd run with a simple votive to encourage the glow at night...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...