28 June 2010

pipe cleaner sparklers

When I saw these 4th of July pipe cleaner sparklers on Make and Takes, I knew my little crafty girl would be all over them. I suggested it, showed her Marie's photos, and her whole face lit up. It's a good thing we had all the pipe cleaners on hand, because she wanted to make them right away.

There are step-by-step instructions on Make and Takes. I had H sort the pipe cleaners by color, select the appropriate colors for each sparkler, and hand me enough pipe cleaners for one sparkler at a time. I did the twisting (she tried, but tired of it quickly) and then she put her own spin on the "sparks."

I decided to bend the bottom of the handle up a little bit, to keep the end from being too sharp. Just be sure you tuck/smooth those wire ends in the twists.
We had enough pipe cleaners to make eight, so we did. H gave some to her friends, and kept enough for us to use on Sunday. What fun!