11 July 2010

kid-friendly vase

My mom gave us this shaker when H was very little. It's like those used for Parmesan and pepper flakes at pizza restaurants, or cinnamon sugar in my house. (Bet you could use it for sprinkles, too.)

From a very young age, H was obsessed with flowers. Every time we went outside (multiple times daily), she would find at least one flower and bring it home. Often it was a whole handful. But those little hands had trouble transferring those handfuls of flowers to our little bud vases. So my mom, Nana, gave us this shaker with the right number of holes for a tiny handful of flowers. And the holes are just the right size for thin, easy-to-pick stems.

H loved inserting stems and making a floral arrangement just her size. And now she has passed it on to J, who loves it just as much. It gets constant use from March to November. We love it!

6 comments:

house 09 said...

how cool! I was scrolling down and got a big smile... great idea for my baby. she is also obsessed with flowers... I have to keep on watching her or my yard loses all the colors ;)

Marisa said...

Sounds familiar! I remember one spring I turned around to see all my tulips and daffodils had been picked. I was speechless! We then had a chat about asking first. :)

Kate Morgan Jackson said...

I just LOVE this idea -- going on my table very soon. :)

abby @ tales and trials said...

This is such a great idea Marisa! Once again... you are such a clever mama! Or should I say your mama is a clever mama. :)

J I L L A I R E said...

Is this vase relatively spill-proof? I would think it at least wouldn't gush out water...more of a trickle? Sometimes I worry about letting my girls have flowers in their rooms for fear they'll tip over the vases and spill water everywhere.

Marisa said...

We always have ours on the dining table, so it doesn't get knocked over. The top screws on, but it's certainly not water-tight. Leakage would probably be somewhere between a trickle and a gush. I probably wouldn't put it in the kids' rooms.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...