20 July 2010

salad prep, simplified

How lazy am I? I'm so lazy, I don't even like to make salad. All that washing and chopping...ugh. I save it for last when I'm fixing dinner, because I dread it so, and I always underestimate how much time it takes to get all those veggies ready. 

You see, I'm one of those people that requires dinner prep--total dinner prep--to be 30 minutes or less. Any longer than that, and it qualifies as a special occasion.

I've tried making big salads to store in the fridge and eat over a few days, but the lettuce always gets limp. Nobody likes limp salad.

My solution? Frozen veggies. Steamed in the microwave.  So much easier.

However, Hubs likes salads. Big, loaded with veggie salads. And...salads are healthy. A variety of fresh, raw veggies is undoubtedly (though only slightly) healthier than steamed broccoli every night. Plus, who wants to eat warm steamed veggies when it's 95° outside?

But I finally figured out a time-saving trick. I can prep the cruciferous, firm veggies all at once, keep those in the fridge, and just add them to lettuce/cukes/tomatoes/etc. when it's time for dinner. It cuts my salad-making time in half. 

Probably even less than that. 

Awesome.