02 September 2010

lasagna redone: fresh and cool

summer lasagna macro

When I first saw this idea for "Summer Lasagne" on Framed, I knew I would try it the instant my garden produced enough tomatoes. It soon did, and I did, and I'm so glad! This twist on lasagna is perfect for summer. It's fresh, cool, tasty, and makes use of summer's bounty.
summer lasagna prep

In the original post, Kate made her own ricotta. My first reaction was  
What? You can make ricotta?? 
But I don't really like ricotta. 
Hmm....well...I've never liked store-bought ricotta...
So I tried it. And it worked! I actually made my own ricotta. 
It was simple and it was good
summer lasagna ricotta

So you layer the noodles and fresh ricotta and sauteed zucchini and tomatoes and basil, and there you are. 

Summer bliss. 

No oven. Just perfect.

Try it before summer is gone for good.
summer lasagna top
summer lasagna side

9 comments:

Jen said...

Yum! I think I'll make this tomorrow - thanks!

Bcieloha said...

What else would be good in place of the tomatoes?

Marisa said...

Hmm...if you wanted to stick with traditional lasagna flavors, I'd just use marinara sauce. But you could use extra zucchini or yellow squash, chunks of sweet potato or winter squash, or sauteed bell pepper. Maybe good olives and artichoke hearts?

Bcieloha said...

Ooooh Andrew would love artichoke hearts. I might make this sometime this weekend!

Jen said...

This was so good - adding it to the Emery Favorites cookbook!

Marisa said...

Britt: let me know how it is with artichokes!
Jen: Hooray!

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

ok now i'm hungry! I didn't know you could make your own ricotta either, so gonna try it and this recipe too!

A Bit Of Mayhem said...

Ooooo. this looks soooo good. . .

Grandpa Bill said...

substitute corn tortillas for the lasagna noodles--can't tell them apart, and they're gluten-free!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...