The Little Mister is getting more interested in helping me in the kitchen. And he's actually reached the point where he helps more than he hinders, so I'm grateful. Bring on the chemistry, math, and life lessons that can be taught by baking!
Unfortunately, he still moves too fast for me to capture him helping without blur. Oh well. I like to think of it as photographic proof of what an active toddler he is.
Wait. Not toddler. Preschooler. He's a preschooler now.
I'll get it eventually.
Maybe he's growing so quickly because I keep feeding him healthy food disguised as treats? :)
Oat Bran Muffins with Banana and Chocolate Chips (Printable Version)
1 1/2 cups oat bran (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup flax meal
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 ripe bananas
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or more if you like)
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place peeled bananas in a medium bowl; mash.
- To the mashed bananas, add eggs, yogurt, applesauce and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients to combine thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Portion into greased or paper-lined muffin pans (will make 4 dozen mini muffins, or 2 dozen standard muffins).
- Bake: about 12 minutes for mini muffins; about 18 minutes for standard muffins. Muffins are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.