30 September 2010

roasted chickpeas (garbanzos?)

What do you call them? Chickpeas? Garbanzo beans? I've always called them garbanzo beans. I've always disliked them, unless they were completely annihilated into hummus.

The other day I tried them roasted. I got the idea (and recipe) from "Snack Time" over at Cooking With My Kid. I really hoped I would like them, because I've been looking for a snack as salty and crunchy as popcorn, but healthier.

So I followed the directions--except for the cooking spray, which I replaced with olive oil--sprinkled with sea salt and popped them in the oven. I cooked them a little longer because I wanted them to be really crunchy.

It worked. Think CornNuts, but healthy. Score! 

I seriously did not want to stop eating them.  I probably ate half a can worth of the beans myself. Hubs liked them, but he likes everything. I introduced them to my kids, and they loved them! I was surprised, but they were eating them as fast as I was. I went to the store that afternoon and bought four more cans of garbanzo beans.

You should try them. Really. Today. Go, go! :)

10 comments:

Bcieloha said...

Mmmm! These look delicious! Definitely going to try these.

Cathy said...

I saw these on that same blog. I don't like hummus so I hoped I'd like chickpeas this way. I love salty crunchy snacks. I did not like them roasted. I was very disappointed. Maybe I'll try with olive oil and sea salt and cooking them longer. I've still got two cans of chickpeas to use. I'm glad you like them though!

Marisa said...

Brittney--hope you like them! Beans are good for babies. :)

Cathy--definitely try cooking them longer. Hope it helps!

jodi@Pleasant-Home said...

Surfing around today and found your blog. So fun! I have never liked chickpeas but I am definitely going to try this. We have a diabetic in our family and I've been looking for alternatives. This one would be great! Thanks for sharing. I'm off to read the original post.

JoeBee said...

Going grocery shopping today...maybe we will pick up a can to test. How much longer did you cook em?

Marisa said...

Err...I dunno. Just until they're brown and crunchy. Bake them for 15mins, stir, 15 more minutes, and check them. Some will be dark brown. Take the dark ones out and keep cooking the others. You don't want them dark brown, just caramelly brown and split open a bit.

Kate said...

Wow - they look super yummy. On my to-do list tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying this recipe now! Can't wait to tast it! :)

JoeBee said...

made some..we added some spice to them from a different recipe..quite good.

Grandpa Bill said...

It took a while, but your mom and I knew you would eventually come around. "Bonzo beans" were one of your favorite things when you were too young to be picky.

Cathy--try Risa's fake hummus recipe and add some balsamic vinegar. Don't know what to do with you if you don't like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...