18 November 2010

rerun: baby blanket quilt

I originally ran this post in April 2009, when I made the quilt. Back then, I was so happy that I found a way to recycle the old baby blankets. But the other day as I was making Little Mister's bed, I spent several minutes looking at the quilt–feeling the textures, reliving memories worn into those soft blankets. I realized then that I made a keepsake, an heirloom, that we will treasure for years to come, just like the quilt my grandmother made that is on my couch right now. I'm so thankful.

Enjoy, and have a great weekend.
Marisa
  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My youngest is in that in-between stage–too big for baby blankets, and too small for twin-size blankets. I was contemplating finding a toddler- or throw-size blanket for him, while simultaneously cleaning out several baby blankets from his drawer. Then I realized, "Hey, we're not having any more kids, so why don't I just cut these baby blankets up and make a crib-sized quilt?" So I did. 

I'm a very lazy quilter, so I just did basic squares. I avoided ironing as much as I could, but there's still a ton of ironing in the quilt-making process! (Updated note: do NOT iron fleece with a hot iron. It melts.) I tied it instead of quilting...the best option for someone lazy like me. Also, the yarn is fun to play with when you're falling asleep, as I remember from my childhood quilts (one of which is still used on my couch daily).

It's fun, and a nice way to keep our baby blankets a little longer. The kids love looking for the bear square. I'm very happy with the way it turned out!


Details:
  • The baby blankets are a variety of fabrics–fleece of varying weights, jersey, and sweatshirt fleece.
  • The backing is cozy flannel.
  • I used no batting, due to the thickness of the quilted top.