30 March 2011

reflection

I just read an article by Ellen Bailey in which she writes a letter to her 17-year old self. It really struck a chord with me. At seventeen, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going on with my life, but, of course, I really had no clue.

Ellen's letter focused mainly on body image issues, which was indeed an issue for me at seventeen (still is, some days). But if I were to write a letter to my 17-year old self, it would include much more. I'd cover body image, perfectionism, big-picture perspective, and trust. That's a big one. 17-year old me was on the cusp of several experiences that would affect how she trusted people. What did Oprah call them? Defining moments? There were a bunch of those between 17 and 20. So strong was the impact of those moments that I'd be willing to bet a letter to my 17-year old self would significantly alter the course of her life.

That makes me slightly uncomfortable. Hmm.

Would you write a letter to yourself at seventeen? What would you write?