08 November 2011

lego organization

Hubs and I tackled a high-priority home improvement project this past weekend.
We sorted our giant tub of LEGOs,
by type and size.

This sort of thing wouldn't usually qualify as home improvement, but believe me, it has definitely improved our home. Before, when the LEGOs lived in the giant bottomless tub, finding the tiny 1x2 smooth tile that Little Mister needed for his rescue helicopter was an agonizing chore that took three to ten minutes. And now? He can open up the “smooth tile drawer” and find exactly what he needs in five seconds. Aaah. (Sorting drawer units purchased from Lowe's hardware section for $20 each.)
Don't get me wrong—it was a pain in the tush to sort all those tiny pieces. Literally! And it took hours. But they were hours well spent, my friends. It also took hours combing through the Pick-A-Brick department, finding and stealing images for my drawer labels. But just look how beautiful they are:
I was writing this post and thinking to myself, Huh. LEGO is a funny name. I wonder where it came from? Wikipedia to the rescue. Lego is from the Danish phrase leg godt, which means play well.

Go forth and play well, my children, with your obsessively organized LEGOs.

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My husband has a huge lego collection and sorts his using the sterilite contains that have drawers. All pieces are sorted by kind, not color. (1x4's in a drawer, 2x6s in another drawer.) We have a walk in closet full of sterilite containers!

Marisa said...

Yes! These were my husband's LEGOs, as well, and he was very particular about sorting by size and kind, NOT color. I'm sure as the kids keep adding to the collection, we'll need to move to bigger drawers. We would love a LEGO closet!

Cathy said...

Oh, my. That is hard core. Very impressive. I won't be attempting anything like that until my boy is about 10. He likes stuff messy right now and I'm happy to oblige!

abby @{eatrunteach} said...

Great idea storage idea. My dad has a huge tub of my brothers lego's waiting for Noah when we move home. I can't wait to see his face when he sees them. :)

Sophie said...

Waouw !
Ici les Lego de nos fils sont triés, mais pas à ce point (des tiroirs Trofast IKEA pour les couleurs tout simplement)
Bravo pour le travail, j'imagine tout à fait l'ampleur, je trie les Playmobil parfois ici, dans des petites boîtes IKEA aussi (les chapeaux, les armes, les jeux, les capes, les petits animaux domestiques, les petits animaux sauvages etc. !!)

Marisa said...

Sounds like my house, Sophie. What would we do without IKEA?

melissalynn217 said...

Any chance those labels are in a sendable file you would be willing to share?

melissalynn526@gmail.com

melissalynn217 said...

Do you happen to have a PDF of the labels you made that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Marisa said...

Hi Melissa,

I'm sorry, I don't have the labels. I didn't even save them (very unlike me) because there were so many and it was only a one-time thing.

I wish I could be more help! Good luck.

Jenny said...

i also wish you had a file of those labels. that would have been GOLD!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...