18 November 2011

photo friday. twenty three. Lightscoop.

I got a new camera toy in the mail this week—a Lightscoop. It is essentially a little mirror that clips on to the hot shoe (the bracket on top, where you would clip an external flash) and reflects the pop-up flash to bounce the light off the ceiling so it's not as harsh. For $30, when compared to the $300-$600 flash units I'm considering, the Lightscoop is an excellent starting place for me. I plan to use it through the dark winter months. By the time spring rolls around, I'll know if I need to save up for a “big girl” flash.

I've only practiced with it once. I'm still playing around with it. It comes with recommended camera settings for the brightest flash, but I like to be in control, so I'm learning how much I can play with those settings to make the light how I want it.

Do you have a Lightscoop? I'd love to chat with people that have some experience with it.

Have a great weekend everyone,
And don't forget to enter the calendar giveaway!

6 comments:

GraceesMommy said...

I do have a one..actually both. I am just have a little trouble setting it up. I was wondering what kind of a camera you have and if after you set it up you have to leave it manual all the time if using the light or if you can switch it back to AV or Tv?
Your pictures look great but I am a little confused over setting it up.

GraceesMommy said...

ps...do you leave your ISO to 800 like they want you to for setup. If so how do you feel about this. I normally never go above 200.

Grandpa Bill said...

Great idea--creative equivalent to the swiveling flash and a great way to use the pop-up. Much more realistic than the raw flash.

Marisa said...

GraceesMommy—I have a Nikon D7000 and I leave it on Manual all the time, Lightscoop or not. Yes, you do need to leave your camera on Manual while using the Lightscoop, otherwise your settings will change. But you can return to Av or Tv when you're done with Lightscoop.

And yes, I do set my ISO to 800. My camera handles high ISOs pretty well, but even if it didn't, the added light of the flash will help prevent a lot of noise/grain that you might get at 800. Just pick a night to take some practice shots and then let me know if you have additional questions.

JoeBee said...

I like the look that it gives, just be careful the color of the wall you are bouncing it off.

Marisa said...

Good point, Joe. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...