04 January 2012

4/366 crock pot prep

Images today taken with a Canon S5iS (edited in Lightroom) while my D7000 is away.

Inspired by this post on Mama and Baby Love, I spent an hour this morning preparing two crock pot dinners for next week. I chopped all the necessary ingredients, put them in a gallon size Ziploc bag, and stuck them in the freezer. In the original post, she suggested doing more dinners at one time, but I've got limited freezer space right now.

I don't have a lot of counter space, so this was challenging. And those gallon bags were very full. But they closed easily and fit in the freezer, and I know I'll be so thrilled next week to just empty the frozen contents into the crock pot and head out for the day. We've got swimming lessons during dinner prep time this month, and this is my solution. I'll let you know how it works next week.

I prepped two different, and new-to-me recipes:
2) Sweet Potato Vegan Chili from A Year of Slow Cooking (except I added some chopped up leftover steak, which made it decidedly un-vegan)

Tomorrow I'm throwing this in the crock pot, because I have time for prep in the morning—Slow Cooker Shredded Korean Beef Tacos from A Year of Slow Cooking. I had all of the ingredients on hand anyway, so why not? Sounds tasty.

What's your favorite slow cooker recipe? I have a few more nights to plan.

*     *     *     *     *

One more image from today:
With all the clouds yesterday, I was glad to see some light coming through the windows this morning. It was foggy, though, and the fog was acting like a big bright softbox.

And a couple from last night, because I couldn't resist: 
Sunsets + fog = pretty cool