23 February 2012

54/366 fortitude


I live in a very windy place. Trees in the path of the strongest winds are forced to adapt. They grow stronger than average roots for stability. Their branches grow outward, not upward, in erratic lines to balance the aggressive winds. They face adversity, and continue to grow.

Humans do the same thing, but our erratic branches are not as visible.

*          *          *          *          *

I was on the phone with a friend yesterday. She lives on the other side of town. I was hoping to head out for a long walk, but we'd had rain off and on all day and strong winds, and I couldn't tell if the weather would stay dry for my walk. I asked her to look out her windows to see if she could see rain coming.

“It's funny you should say that. We do watch the weather come in, don't we?” she said.

I never really thought about it, but we do. It's like a reflex. We look out the window and scan the clouds as far as we can see. If it's raining in the distance and the clouds are moving toward us, we grab raincoats.

Funny.

Practical, but funny.



I wish I'd had a longer lens with me. The sun glowing behind those trees on the hill was gorgeous.