28 March 2012

peanut butter banana muffins

Yesterday, I made this Peanut Butter Banana bread from Joy the Baker. Except I made it in muffin form.* And I used Jif peanut butter, which has plenty of sugar, so I omitted the granulated sugar from the recipe. I also left out the peanuts because I didn't have any. 

Delicious. The peanut butter flavor is subtle, but it's there. I love that her recipe uses all my usual substitutions/additions: whole wheat flour, flax seed meal, and plain yogurt. She did the healthifying for me and I love when people do the work for me. I'm not great at asking for help, but I'll take it when it's handed on a silver platter. Or a printable recipe. I'm easy.

I was naughty and whipped up a tiny batch of peanut butter frosting for Hubs and I after the kids went to bed. I don't think I have to tell you how good it was. But just in case you're wondering, it was insanely tasty.

I put frosting-free muffins in the kids' lunch boxes today. That made for some happy kids!


*You know you can do that, right? Any quick bread recipe can be made into muffins. Just like any cake recipe/mix can be made into cupcakes. You just pour the batter into a muffin pan instead of a loaf or cake pan and bake for less time.

**Don't ever make a tiny batch of frosting! Frosting should be made only for cakes. For special occasions. If you learn that you can make a tiny batch of frosting for, say, one or two or five muffins, you might be tempted to do so on a daily basis. And then you have to buy bigger pants, or exercise more. No one wants that.