19 February 2013

milk with honey & cinnamon

We buy large glass jars of our favorite local honey. This stuff is so thick, you almost need a fork to get it out. It's fantastic. It's also extremely difficult to get out a small amount from the glass jar, so we pour it into a plastic squeezable bottle for daily use.

But there's always a thick layer of leftover honey clinging to the glass jar. Spend half a day with me and you'll realize that I do not waste food. I just can't do it. So here's what I do to get that last bit of honey out of the jar:

  1. Pour in a good amount of cinnamon* and mix with whatever honey has pooled on the bottom of the jar.
  2. Pour in milk.*
  3. Place jar in a pot of water and heat gently until milk is warm and honey has come off the bottom portion of the jar.
  4. Screw the lid on the jar, take it out of the water, dry it a little, and shake that warm milk like crazy until all the honey dissolves from the inside of the jar.
  5. Distribute into mugs. Plain for the kids; with coffee for me.

*Amounts will vary with the quantity of honey. It's a trial and error kind of thing. I like lots of cinnamon and I fill one third of the jar with milk.

Perfect for a late winter board game day.