05 May 2013

we're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo. . . how about you?


We took the kids to the Oregon Zoo on Friday, and my parents came along. I knew the lighting at the zoo would change from exhibit to exhibit, so I put my camera on Shutter Speed Priority to help ease the transitions. I wanted to enjoy the zoo, not spend all my time fiddling with camera settings. 

I have to tell you, though, it was hard for me to take it off Manual. I really like having absolute control.




I should have stuck with Manual. The camera overexposed nearly every picture. I still ended up fiddling with settings, but it was to correct what the camera chose. Now that I think about it, I probably should have changed from spot metering to something more comprehensive. Next time.

For now, I'm just happy I shot in Raw. Because next time, baby elephant Lily won't be this small.



We're having a bit of a heat wave in the NW. It was 80° Friday, hotter today, and supposed to be in the 80s all week. Is spring over already? I bought a fan mister to keep us cool. The kids loved it.