05 October 2009

100% Juice (I know, because I made it myself.)

Sunday, I spent most of my day juicing grapes in my backyard. No, I didn't stomp them, I used a juicer. But it was still quite messy. And cold. But oh so worth it for the end product!

Just look at that frothy, purple goodness. This is not grape juice like you buy in the store. It's thick, and tangy, and lovely. If you ever get the chance to try some, I highly recommend it!
It all started with these grapes. I think they're Concorde, but I'm not 100% sure. They grow on a fence between my yard and the neighbor's yard, and right about now the grapes let us know they're ready by producing this wonderful grape-juice-y smell. They're not so good for eating fresh, since they're just skin and mush and seeds, but they're perfect for juicing.

(Me in my grubbies and safety glasses because there were grape seeds flying everywhere!)

It so satisfying to put Nature's gifts to good use. I feel so lucky to live in a place that reminds me every day to slow down and appreciate Nature's gifts. Here in the Columbia River Gorge, we experience white winters, springs filled with new blossoms, warm summers, and autumns bursting with vibrant colors. Each day I go outside and think, "How did I get so lucky?"

What do you love about your little piece of the planet?