25 January 2010

my calendar


Three things I've learned about myself:
  1. I like things to be simple
  2. I like things to be pretty
  3. I like to do things inexpensively when I can
I got tired of forking out $5-$15 for a new calendar every year. By the time I would get around to buying one (with 12 months of cheesy photographs, usually), the following week they'd be moved to the clearance rack and marked down 50%. (It really aggravates me when I miss out on a good clearance buy.)

So, a few years ago, I decided to start making my own calendar. MS Publisher makes it super easy with a template, though I do go in and change the fonts, because I'm picky like that. I get lots of room to write, I can type in all my birthdays and other recurring events so I won't forget them (like recycling day), and I don't have to look at cheesy photos. Plus, I can print out as many calendar pages as I want, so I always print from February to January of the following year. That way, I don't have to worry about getting my new calendar printed during the holiday rush.

The calendar is held by magnetic clips on a square magnetic board. I like that I have room around the sides for appointment cards, Save the Date cards, and other reminders.

A sweet new addition to our calendar this year is a little note from H:

Aw...well, it just melts my heart every day when I look at it. :)

How about you? Do you have any creative calendar ideas?