30 March 2010

fun kid lunch: peanut butter canapés

When I saw these pop up on maya*made, I knew I had to try them right away. The kids and I were just hanging around the house today anyway, repotting houseplants and doing puzzles, so our afternoon begged for something fun.

So I sliced up some banana, added some pretzels to experiment, dotted them all with peanut butter and piled some chocolate chips on our plates.
This was our lunch today. (Well, I felt guilty and added some toast with avocado to round things out a bit.) The kids loved putting chocolate chips on each little canapé, and figuring out how many chocolate chips to put on each one.
Then we held a vote, to see which base best accompanied the peanut butter and chocolate topping: banana or pretzel?
The banana won, at least for the kids. I'm still not convinced. The banana was great, adding a sweet fruitiness to the combo. But I do love a little salty crunch with my peanut butter and chocolate. This exact combination wasn't the greatest, though...I much prefer my chocolate peanut butter pretzel balls.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Yum! I'm going to try these tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Marisa@make*happy said...

Have fun with them, Cathy!

Anonymous said...

I found this post via Pinterest and I'm SO glad! My 5yo has food allergies and shes limited on what she can eat. I altered this recipe by using "Wow Butter" (pb alternative) and Ghiradelli choc chips (dairy free) and put dried cranberries on them as well.

She loves them! Thanks for the wonderful idea!


-ashley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...