29 July 2010

cabbage and goat cheese chilaquiles

How's that for a title? Did I get your attention?

I've had the tiniest smidge of leftover enchilada sauce sitting in my fridge for a week. Seriously. Maybe 1/2 cup. What in the world can you do with 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce?

I also happened to have some leftover sauteed onions, chopped cabbage, and a giant log of goat cheese from Costco that isn't disappearing as fast as I thought.

The images of all those things swirling in my head combined to make only one thing--chilaquiles.

I've talked about chilaquiles before. The dish is fairly new to me, but I'm loving the versatility. It's a muy fabuloso fridge-cleaning meal.
  • I put the enchilada sauce in a sauce pan until it was hot.
  • I threw in some tortilla chips and coated them evenly with the sauce.
  • While the chips were softening in the sauce, I reheated the onions and crumbled the goat cheese.
  • Then I threw the chopped cabbage in the saucepan and stirred so it could soften slightly and soak up the rest of the enchilada sauce.
  • Scooped the chip and cabbage mixture onto a plate.
  • Topped with warm onions.
  • Sprinkled with goat cheese.
  • Added a dollop of plain yogurt. (I've grown to love it as a sour cream I can eat every day.)
It all looked so good as it was coming together, I mixed up a quick and dirty margarita. The meal really calls for a margarita. Thank goodness for bottled lime juice.

The result was surprisingly yummy. The goat cheese added a tang that really complimented the smoky enchilada sauce.

I know you're wondering about that cabbage. Honestly, I couldn't really differentiate between the cabbage and the onions. Both added a nice crunch and only slight flavor.

I found myself wishing for shredded chicken and cilantro. I think I'll make a big batch of non-leftover chilaquiles for dinner this weekend.

What are you cooking this weekend?