26 January 2011

bread in five minutes: day 2. garlic cheese bread.

Thanks for your patience earlier. I'm feeling much better now. I find the best way to feel better when something is bothering you is to find someone that agrees with you and talk it out. I did that. Now, not so grumpy.

I have some fun Valentine crafts coming soon, but I was so excited about this garlic cheese bread that I had to share this first. The dough came from my “five minute” dough, and you can find the original recipe here. The cheesy loaf was inspired by some delicious photographs taken by Elise Joy Blaha Cripe. My method was all very spontaneous—hints from here and there—but it worked very well. So tasty.
  1.  I spread a fairly thick layer of jarred minced garlic on the dough (after i “rolled” it out with my hands). I love garlic, but this was too much, even for me. Next time I'll make it a thin layer.
  2. I sprinkled on some dehydrated onion and about a cup and a half of shredded cheddar cheese.
  3. I rolled it up like a cinnamon roll, nice and tight,
  4. then squished in the ends so it would fit in my loaf pan.
Like this:
 I let it rest for 40 minutes. I dusted with flour and slashed it, per the original recipe, 
but I have no idea if this was necessary.
I baked it at 450°, again, per the original recipe. Steam and everything. Only I didn't preheat the loaf pan, so the bottom of the loaf didn't get very crusty. I'm ok with that.

I baked mine for 25 minutes, because that's when the top looked nice and golden brown. I also let it cool completely in the loaf pan. Frankly, it was a little undercooked and soggy on the bottom. So don't do what I did. Instead, bake it for 30-35 minutes, until the top is really brown and crusty. Let it cool 10 minutes, then take it out of the loaf pan to cool completely.

We served it with pasta and marinara sauce and it was super. By the way, why do we have bread with pasta? Totally redundant, but totally tasty.
 Yeah, I forgot to take a picture before I sliced it. 
But this is basically what it looked like when it came out of the oven.

Yum. 
What's for dinner?